Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Introduction

In the next few weeks (or months), I plan to hot rod a somewhat mediocre electric guitar and document the entire journey here in this blog. This will be a detailed step-by-step account of the modifications made to the guitar complete with photographs of the steps involved. It is my intention to turn this lackluster sounding guitar into something special. This blog will have a finite beginning and end, the beginning being now and the end when the project is complete.

The steps involved in the project are bound to change as I haven't settled certain issues floating around in my head yet. For example, I haven't yet decided if I want to preserve the original 1 volume control and 1 tone control configuration or upgrade to a Strat style 1 volume control and 2 tone control set up. These will be the types of decisions I will make as I go along.

Why a Fender Squire Stagemaster? Because I happen to own one and I happen to love the way it plays. Several of my friends have played this guitar as well and have also remarked that it is very nice guitar to play. The fretboard, neck and action are wonderful to experience, but to be completely honest, the sound leaves a lot to be desired due to the inferior pickups and overall junky electronics. The noise, screeching and ear-piercing feedback this guitar produces at higher volume is really hard to describe. At lower levels, however, some really nice sounds can be achieved. But again, this guitar is a joy to play and I see a lot of potential for improvement in the sound, and the appearance.

Among other things, I plan to replace all of the factory pickups with DiMarzios (I will reveal the models soon), replace the junky volume and tone pots and capacitor, replace the 5-way pickup selector switch, replace all of the wiring and shield everything properly, replace all of the knobs and have a custom pickguard made. The project will not involve a new paint job or any work to the neck, body or bridge. These are the best qualities of the guitar that I intend to preserve.

What's next? In my next entry, I will post photos of the project guitar and some of the history behind it, i.e, how I came to own it, etc. I will also post some general personal observations regarding the guitar.

Well, I think that is about all for this introduction. I hope you will visit periodically to see how the project is going.

Crispy

6 comments:

Crispy said...

You know, I thought about doing that before I took it apart. Because this guitar really does sound fairly nice at lower volumes, I was debating the value of cranking it up and recording the the upgodly high pitched squealing and feedback. I might give it a shot if I can find a microphone around here.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the project. I will definitely check in from time to time to see how things are progressing. I am genuinely curious as to how you will go about it and how difficult it will be. I might think about doing the same to a Samick guitar in the future.

Crispy said...

Carl:

Thank you for stopping in and I hope you will look in from time to time to time to check on the progress. Regarding the difficulty level, this one won't be too bad, as you'll see. There will be no body routing and the electronics and wiring will be straightforward unless, of course, I decide to add a second tone control. I haven't decided if I'm going there just yet. If you have any questions, please ask away.

Anonymous said...

It's not your imagination. The reverse headstock does play differently. A longer string will have more tension than a shorter string tuned to the same pitch. So the high E is now shorter and has less tension, and the E string is now longer and has more tension. Many feel its part of the Hendrix sound, along with the reverse rout for the bridge pickup.

Anonymous said...

As the owner of a Squier StageMaster HH which was also metallic purple when I got it 'new'after hanging in a local guitar shop for several years, I was puzzled when I saw the picture of the guitar you are modding. It is quite a bit different from the rest of the StageMasters I've seen. None of them had the 'standard' Strat input bezel in the body, they're all on the edge. None came with pickguards but the one on yours does look good but I still swear that is not the correct body.
Check out the following URL for the NAMM introduction of the Stagemaster lineup and you will not see any that look like yours. I think you have done an excellent job building a hot rod guitar,just not a StageMaster in my book. Rett

http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM00/Content/Fender/PR/Stagemaster/Stagemaster.html

Crispy said...

Hey Rett!

Not a Stagemaster?! Please! Do some homework before you make comments like that. Of course it is a Stagemaster. A much earlier model that the one you linked to. After reading my entire project blog, you have doubts that I know what kind of guitar I'm working on? Sheeeeesh!