Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Finished Wiring

Okay then, with the exception of the 3 wires that are attached to the Stagmaster's body (the ground to the spring bridge and the 2 wires that come from the output jack), the wiring is done. Here is a photo of the finished product.

After I found the wiring diagram on Dimarzio's web site, everything fell into place. Here is the most interesting thing of all, in my opinion (taken from DiMarzio's own wiring diagram):

"Observe the positioning of the humbuckers: the neck pickup is installed in the opposite direction from the bridge pickup. This is done so that the coil closest to the middle pickup remains “on” in the 2 and 4 positions. This produces the most "quack". If the humbuckers are turned around, the result is a less hollow, more Tele-like sound."

So this told me that it does indeed matter which direction the pickups are mounted. It doesn't necessarily affect an individual pickup's sound, but it does affect the overall sound when the 3 pickups are used in combination with each other.

That being the case, I had to remove the bridge pickup and flip it over where it would be opposite of the neck pickup per the instructions. I know it sounds confusing, but it makes sense to me when I think about it.

And finally for today, as nice as the new tortoise shell pickguard is, I discovered to my dismay that none of the screw holes were counter sunk. I hadn't noticed this until today. Luckily I had a counter sinking drill bit that took care of the matter. No big deal, but it was an annoyance.

Crispy

No comments: