Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Success!

Today I am happy to report that after installing the new Fender Superswitch I bought, all of the new pickups seem to be working in accordance with the switch settings. All 5 positions are working when the are supposed to be working, and not working when they are not supposed to be working.

I took me at least an hour and a half to uninstall the standard 5-way switch I bought earlier and to install and wire up the new Superswitch. Again, if you are interested in looking at the wiring diagram, click here to view the PDF from DiMarzio. I wired everything up exactly as instructed, and it was no piece of cake.

I do not have an ohm meter (or whatever they're called), so after I loosely attached the pickguard back onto the guitar with a couple of screws, I tested the pickups by plugging the guitar into my amp and tapping on each of the pickups with a small screwdriver. After I moved the switch through all 5 positions and tapping on each pickup respectively, I determined that they are all active when they are supposed to be. According to DiMarzio, this is the reasoning behind a "hum-canceling" configuration such as this:

"One reason the 3-pickup humbucker-single-humbucker setup is popular is because of the Stratlike sound of the 2nd and 4th switch positions. Because these positions utilize 1 coil from the neck or bridge humbucker and the single-coil in the center, they are humcancelling. If there is also a humcancelling pickup like a Virtual Vintage® model in the middle position, it becomes necessary to turn off the bottom coil of the middle pickup as well as one coil from the outside humbucker. This can't be accomplished with a standard 5-way selector switch. The diagram shows how to do this with a multipole 5-way (EP1112). Observe the positioning of the humbuckers: the neck pickup is installed in the opposite direction from the bridge pickup. This was done so that the coil closest to the middle pickup remains on in the 2 & 4 positions. This produces the most "quack". If the humbuckers are turned around, the result is a less hollow, more Tele-like sound."

At this point, all I can tell you is that all of the pickups are working. I won't have any idea of what the Stagemaster actually sounds like until I put it all back together and put some strings on it--which will be the next step.

And regarding strings, this guitar has been jostled around a lot in the course of this mod. I hope to heck it hasn't developed any intonation problems as a result of all of the handling. Intonation problems, I know from experience, can be a real headache.

Not too much longer now . . .

Crispy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hook that puppy up to your favorite amp and let 'er rip! Tell us how it sounds and plays when you can. Look forward to it.