Friday, February 10, 2006

Guess what? More on wiring...

Well, I have found out why my current wiring set up doesn't work. It seems that the DiMarizio single coil (YJM) pickup I bought for the middle position is a 4 conductor, hum canceling pickup (pdf). Which isn't a bad thing, but I wasn't planning on the pickup having more than 2 wires. In this case, it has 5 (1 white, 1 black, 1 red, 1 green, 1 ground).

The wiring diagram from DiMarzio that I was trying to use assumed that a standard single coil pickup (2 wires) would be used. Take a look at this diagram (pdf).

As I understand things, if I want to use the new YJM I bought and make it do what I want it to do, I can't use a standard 5 way switch. I have to use a multipole 5-way switch (sometimes called a Megaswitch) that will facilitate the desired, hum-canceling hookup. Please take a look at this diagram (pdf) and you can see how the YJM is hooked up to the switch. Obviously, this setup cannot be accomplished with a standard 5-way switch.

I have found the switch I need at Stewart-McDonald, take a look here. So it looks like I am going to have to order up and wait for it to get here.

If any of you have any input regarding this wiring issue, I'd sure like to hear it.

Crispy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only input I have is just that things like this never go as smoothly as planned. On the bright side, I expect that once you get it all together, you're going to be very pleased with the results.

Crispy said...

Carl: Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm still not 100% straight on the Megaswitch deal. If you go to the Stewart-McDonald link I posted, you will see that there are several types of Megaswitches. From what I can tell, it looks like I need the "E" model? I'm still looking into it. Crispy