Wednesday, January 04, 2006

A Squier? Me?

Someone just reminded me via e-mail that in a previous post I would disclose how I ended up with a Fender Squire after owning Stratocasters and Les Pauls.

It is kind of a long story but I'll try to boil it down. First off let me say that I just turned 51 years old and I have been playing guitar since I was 15. This Silvertone (amp in case) was the first guitar I ever owned. By the time I was 17 I could play the entire Santana Abraxas album verbatim. Ever listen to Alice Cooper's "Killer" album? I could also that entire album note-for-note by the time I was 16 or 17. These are only a couple that I remember, but suffice it to say I've been involved with guitars for most of my life (I even have them tattooed on my body). My first serious guitar was a '73 Strat with a maple neck.

About the only kind of band that I haven't played in would be a jazz group. I've pretty much played everything else; country, disco, top 40, all genres of rock almost, funk, etc.

I quit playing in groups when it got to be a job. What turned me off to bands completely was when I got on the hotel/lounge circuit. After doing this for a number of years, playing Top 40 guitar became a job . . . a job that I didn't like so much any more. So after all that, I sold everything. I sold my guitars, amps and all the other miscellaneous equipment that I owned. I was sick of bands, and I was sick of playing guitar.

I didn't even own a guitar for several years. Back in 1999, or so, I felt the urge to play returning. I didn't go out and buy a guitar immediately and I wasn't even sure if I wanted to get back into it. Finally in 2ooo, I went shopping around for a lower end guitar. I didn't want to spend a fortune because I wasn't sure I would keep playing.

So off I went to Mars Music in Tampa. I originally settled on a Washburn Billy T, which seemed to be a nice playing cheap guitar. I played this one for about a month until one of the pickups died. When I took it back, they didn't have a replacement available so the store manager offered to trade me the Stagemaster instead straight across, which was a significantly more expensive guitar. I tried it out and have been playing it every since.

If I ever decide to go out and buy an expensive guitar, I can tell you right now that it will most definitely be an original Les Paul Gold Top. I used to have a '69.

Right now I am playing through a Fender Frontman amp (25 watts, older model) and the only other guitar I have is a Fernandes Nomad Deluxe, which is a great travel guitar. It has a built in amp, speaker and effect package that will make a gazillion sounds. I also have a Korg AX1000G ToneWorks.

There you have it.

Crispy

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! If you ever get so fed up with guitars altogether so much so that you just want to chuck them all out, let me know. :-)

I'll never be good enough to play professionally and I honestly don't have much free time to practice (my job is killing me with consistent 11-13 hour days 6 days a week) but I got that guitar bug.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Les Paul's, one of the Les Paul's I would like one day is one of the Smartwood series (specifically the Ambay Guasu wood because it reminds me of good times at Mexico Beach, Florida http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/lespaul/images/AmbayGuasu.jpg ).

Anonymous said...

The URL should have been:

http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/lespaul/images/AmbayGuasu.jpg

It got truncated.

Anonymous said...

Still got truncated. Nevermind.

Crispy said...

hi-tone:

Yes, I know that an original '69 might be pure fantasy, but I sure wish I had my old one back. True, it wasn't 100% original (someone had replaced the tuners with Grovers), but it was close enough.

Juan A. Zuoza said...

Well, I always owned cheap guitars and some sound pretty good. I´ve got a Jackson performer PS2 with floyd rose. I´ve calibrated it according to my own taste and I´ve changed the pick ups. I put three EMG active ones. It sounds GREAT! I´ve been playing with the same guitar for the last ten years. I love it. I got a fender twin amp with goove tubes and a zoom gfx8 effect processor. I don´t want an expensive guitar. Best regards, Juan, Form Patagonia Argentina